This one was a bit of a challenge. I really liked the sketch, but when I transferred it to the watercolor paper it looked a little wonky. I thought I could fix it during the painting stage, but that didn't work as well as I had hoped and was, perhaps, even worse. I set that one aside, went out to dinner with my family, got home and started over. The painting I am posting is actually the third attempt with the same sketch. The second one was drying, awaiting the finishing touches, and I bumped it. With most other mediums that wouldn't matter. With a very wet watercolor, it does. She ended up with permanent streaks down her face and onto the background. I even tried to turn her into a warrior by incorporating the streaks into the design. No luck.
So I started over. I'm glad I did, too. She is nothing at all like the other two and is a bit more fluid than what I'm normally comfortable with. Trying to make the deadline actually forced me to step outside my comfort zone and I'm happy with the result. I hope you enjoy the final result as much as I do! :)
Leave a Reply.
Artist and author.